-
September 6th, 2000, 10:19 PM
#11
Inactive Member
I agree with Matt. Computer online movies won't even replace TV. Because let's face it, computer graphics are blocky and the sound you get from those little speakers isn't anything to talk about. TV and the Cinnema will always be ahead of online movies.
But acctually like 5 years ago they began making movie disks for computers (not DVDs). So I don't know. Probably the net will become the ground for some new movie makers, but ONLY independent ones. The famous directors and actors will release with stuff in the theatres. Like it should be.
-Ivan
------------------
"A place for everything and everything in it's place".
-
September 7th, 2000, 05:54 AM
#12
Senior Hostboard Member
Twenty years ago who had a microwave, a remote control, a CD player?
Fifty years ago who had a fridge freezer or elecric kettle?
100 years ago who had a stills camera?
It really fucks me off that ppl on this board seem to have no appreciation of market forces, and have imaginations that have been stilted by the very meduim they aspire to make a living from.
Try thinking beyond next summer.
You must learn from the past to make predictions for the future.
In 10 or 20 years time cinema as we know it may no longer exist as a mainstream pastime.
Why?
Because it fucks me off when some idiot talks through the film, or if I get a crap seat. When I can get my 60" flatscreen HDTV for ?300, and a soundsystem to make my home cinema complete, and the best seat in the house, I know where I'll be watching my films. But it won't be a lone experience, either. I have friends.
I expect the people who are afraid of Home Cinema are the same people who are afraid of evolution in general.
(It's okay, I have my fire-proof suit on ;-)
-
September 7th, 2000, 07:45 AM
#13
eddie
Guest
What about the 'night out' concept ?
Its easy to spend the night in, watch Armageddon 56 on the wall screen and have beers handed to you every half hour by twinky your personal automatic housemate, but its quite nice to leave your eco-dome every so often, scoot over to the other end of town and get a ticket for the theatre.
Personally Im not afraid of home cinema, I just prefer the picture house sometimes and I dont think Id ever have one. I mean that. My grandchildren might....
Evolution?
Shit the world you see around you in 30 years could be nothing like this one at all: If we have the resources/alternatives to keep up this technology explosion....
-
September 7th, 2000, 08:07 AM
#14
Inactive Member
Cinema has already changed over the past 50 years... (I'm too young to remember this), but I was talking with my Gran about Cinema and Movies (she knows her stuff)
She used to work in a "Picture House" (as she calls it), where you could buy a ticket and spend the whole day there... watch a few 30 minute films, then the feature presentation (literally you spend an entire night there)
they had intervals, sold ice cream, etc...
what do we have now?
we spend 5 quid on a ticket... they rush you in... watch the trailers & movie... then its "GET OUT! GO HOME!"
Thanks a bunch Mr Multiplex!
My guess, within the next 5 years Cinema will start to be edged out... Pay-Per-View will grow...
then in 10 years Digital/WebTV (in its latest form) will take over... its possible that physical media (DVD/CD/MD) will become obsolete... electronic media (ie. MP3/WAP) will take over.
Thats just my opinion, I mean I'm currently listening to different MP3 albums on my PC that I downloaded from Napster!!! - I don't have to bring my CDs into work anymore!
its all about conveniance... people getting lazier - thats what people demand!
-
September 7th, 2000, 09:16 AM
#15
Inactive Member
personaly i don't think cinema will go off ages yet, people may have a good sound set up and huge tv at home but it still doesn't compare to the theatre. By the way, ?5 a ticket, where are you goind UCI, Warners? Go to UGC its only ?3.50, ($2.38) except in London, or get an unlimted card, (Hey can you tell i work there?)
www.cashproductions.co.uk
-
September 7th, 2000, 10:15 AM
#16
eddie
Guest
Remember that the Multiplex isnt the only place to go and see a film. I might be an old fashioned nostalgic git, but I rarely ever see films at a multiplex, pretty much for the reasons given above.
The last few times I did, I was disapointed in the film anyway, I may as well have seen it at home.
There still are loads of struggling 'flea pit' or arthouse cinemas, even University/College film societys, that need your support, far more than any studio funded multiplex...the Macdonalds of cinema's.
If these cinemas die out because no one goes to them, then so will a great outlet for unusual films. You thought Being John Malchovitch was an odd quirky film ???!
go and watch Butcher Boy, or Alphaville, or Bad Boy Bubby. Watch the music of Chance, or Timecode....
In a CINEMA, not on vhs.
And you will only see them in these sorts of places.
Rant on all you like about Art vs Commercialism. Unless you actually witness the two for real you will never understand them.
-
September 7th, 2000, 10:19 AM
#17
Inactive Member
UGC is that french cinema that took over Virgin right?
They aren't so bad during the weekdays, I can still use my student card to get discount! but at the weekends, they DONT do student discount... and it costs ?5 (or ?4.95 whatever) - this could be local or national - I don't know?
The only good thing they did was the Unlimited MoviePass for ?25 for 8 weeks...
I go to Odeon Cinemas - they charge ?3.30 (student discount) - plus they sometimes have a scheme that if you take your used ticket stumps in they give you a pound off... so usually only costs me ?2.30...
Personally I love the Cinema... but I also love Vinyl Records, and like vinyl - cinema will become a cult underground movement... showing "classic movies"
Digital is here... the change is coming... you all can smell it...
-
September 7th, 2000, 10:26 AM
#18
eddie
Guest
By the way, the 'internet', will soon be pushed aside by a concept called The Grid. (trust me I work in this business).
The Grid is infinitley faster, works both ways(It has/is being developed to remotely control and monitor experimental equipment) and is currently used by a few research labs (much as the Internet was about 10 years ago).
Also 'The Grid' is a much cooler and Ian Gibson kind of name.
So miker, who knows, that might be what its called. Unless it evolves into something else.
-
September 7th, 2000, 11:40 AM
#19
Senior Hostboard Member
Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the cinema, the big screen, the big sound [in fact, I'm going to the IMAX showings of some 70mm over the next few months]
BUT
The 'home' scene WILL catch up (eventually).
SO will the internet or The Grid
AND THEN
any fucking artist can stick a server up on The Grid with content for all to see. Much like any fucker can have a web page currently.
What will this mean?
There are a lot of crap films to watch!
But equally, when u find where to look, a rich culture of, dare I say it, ART!!!
The Grid (presumably what I hear referred to as Internet2) can manage higher bandwidths and has enough IP addresses that every atom could have a unique identifier. Scary.
So how will artists earn their money?
Well, there is the Stephen King or Prince approach, but they are 'names'.
More likely the Artist will always be struggling. Or a Cisco engineer as a sideline ;-)
As long as those silver suits don't come into fashion... but I do want the hover conversion for my car dammit!
-
September 7th, 2000, 04:58 PM
#20
Inactive Member
The home scene will never catch up.
Never.
It may abolish...destroy...annihilate cinema as we have come to know it, but it will never equal the theatre experience.
Take all that eddie has said..the night out, etc. and what I stated in my last reply...physical boundaries that a typical home just cannot recreate...
What makes the theatre experience an experience at all are all those combined attributes. People go to the cinema to have an experience.
Yeah, in ten years, computer graphics will rival the quality of film. Yeah, you'll be able to download a feature-length movie in 5.7 seconds. Sure, you can purchase surround, quadruple subwoofer, automated buzz-contolled, hi fi, artificially-intelligent speaker sets...but no, it still won't be cinema as an experience.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks